There are absolutely 2 types of make up items that I like to purchase: Eyeshadows and Lip products.
I love how a look can turn out completely different when you apply another lip colour. It reflects your mood. But it also can give you courage and strength, when really, you’re feeling very insecure. Well… that’s the case for me. I know that one of my best friends doesn’t like to wear lipstick, and definitely not any bold colors because it draws too much attention to her. For me it works the other way around. I could feel very insecure… but putting on a bold color makes me feel like I could handle anything. I look fearless. I could convince myself that I can do anything.
Before I start, I probably should share my lip-history first. I used to love lip glosses, but the last few years, I have been more into liquid lipsticks (who hasn’t, really). Even though liquid lipsticks became a “thing”, they’ve existed for some time now. The one I used to use frequently was the Maybelline Super Stay 24 color, (you know this, but for some of you who don’t) a double ended product with on one end the liquid lipstick and the other the lip balm. I used this passed winter a lot and my lips began to crack and dry. Don’t get me wrong, I like this product a lot and will definitely continue using it, though perhaps not when Jack Frost is in the country. But during this winter at some point, my skin developed eczema around my lip area. Believe me, that did not look sexy at all. So I started looking around for more moisturizing products and fell in love again with glossy lip products. YES to that juicy, shiny pout.
Here is my current cup of favorite lip products:
- Lancôme Juicy Shaker: If you haven’t already seen this product, it is a cute little tube with 2 phases, one oily phase & a watery colored phase, that you have to shake like a cocktail to have the perfect colored oil for your lips. These make your lips so juicy, kissable and sexy. The one I have is in the shade Meli Melon. And you guessed it, it smells exactly like melon, without being too overpowering candylike. This product reminds me a lot of the fruity lip oil rollers, 2BE used to have in different tastes/shades. They made your lips shine, but were very drying. That is definitely not the case for these Juicy Shakers. These are ideal, if you are the type not to wear very bright colors, but do want some subtle color on your lips. You could also use it as a topper for another lipproduct, to add some juicy shine. I will definitely try out some other shades.
- Maybelline Baby Lips Moisturizing Lip Gloss: I never expected to like this product this much. The Baby Lips lip balms are quite popular, but I don’t find them to be moisturizing enough. I usually put some on my lips before I go to bed and I like them to look plump and moist in the morning. The lip balms don’t do that for me, but these glosses definitely do. My favorite color is nr. 05 in Wink of Pink. This color is so beautiful: it’s a shiny transparant pink with pink microglitter. It gives so much dimension to your lips. Again, you could use this alone so that they can enhance your natural lip shade or as a topper on any other lip product. Another reason why I like this product so much, is because the scent reminds me of those first lip glosses I’ve ever tried. They smell just exactly like strawberry candy… I’m having a nostalgic moment every time I apply this baby…
- Maybelline color Sensational Matte: The pigmentation of this product is… out… of… this… world!! One swipe, people, is all it takes to color your lips. What I like about this is that it doesn’t dry your lips out with it’s creamy consistency. It is not 100% matte, but because of that perhaps, it is a lot more forgiving for my chapped lips. It doesn’t accentuate any dry patches. But it does have a little bit of a creamy sheen to it. When I don’t feel like doing a matte lip, I would top it off with the Baby Lips Gloss. There are so many beautiful colors on the market and I’ll definitely try out the more “experimental colors”, such as blue and purple, if I ever can get my hands on those. The color I am rocking nowadays is in nr. 960 Red Sunset, a divine warm, bright, corally pink.
- Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid: I have been loving these for the past month (basically since I got them…). These liquid lipsticks feel like velvet on your lips. The colors are so opaque that with only one swipe you can completely cover your natural lip color. The scent is very subtle. To me it smells a bit florally, but not unpleasant. These are so creamy and light weight. Again they do not dry the lips out. I usually only reapply after lunch. These are not 100% matte either. But that doesn’t really bother me. My 3 favorite shades are:
- Nr. 05 Nude Flush: THE perfect pink nude for my lips.
- Nr. 50 Nude Thrill: I usually am not a fan of a nude lip. I already have some pigmentation. And any light nude color makes me look like a walking dead… This color however is perfection. Even though it’s nude, it gives enough warmth to my complexion.
- Nr. 15 Electric Pink: the name says it all. Love it!!
- Peripera Lumi Pang: Peripera is a Korean brand I discovered on en.koreadepart.com, while I was browsing for Korean lip products. This brand is especially known for their watery lip stains. When I laid my eyes on these Lumi Pang glosses, I was sold. Can we just take a moment to appreciate this product! The packaging is just to DIE for. I love how it is sleek, with the black bottom and the cap in the actual colour of the lip gloss. Aside from the cute packaging, this gloss is so long wearing.
I usually wear it in 2 ways: 1. I either apply it only in the center of my lips and it gives a lovely gradiant. Even if you rub your lips together and spread the product evenly, the strongest color will be where you applied it first in the center. And it’ll fade out to the edges of your lips. 2. I apply an even coat all over my lips for an intense colour. What I love about these glosses is that it adapts to your natural lip color, so that it’ll always look good on you no matter which color you choose. They make your lips shine and keep them moist for over 6 hours. And because the gloss actually stains your lips, the color remains even longer. I must warn you though, for the smell. There’s something in the scent that makes it different from any product I’ve tried before. To me it’s not unpleasant, but not everyone will like that. These are not available in Belgium, but luckily you can order anything online these days… My favs are:
- PP06: a purply pink, that adds a touch of colour
- PK07: a corally pink, that can look like you ate some cherries. But it can also look…wham… in your face bright!
- RD05: a cool toned red, that is just stunning.
- Peripera Rouge Pang: Meet Lumi Pang’s sister, the lipstick. the formulation of these is quite creamy. They also come in a big range of color and look opaque on your lips. Furthermore, your lips will be slightly stained, though not as much as the Lumi Pang. My favourite color of this range would definitely be PP02, which is a bright orchid color.
- Urban Decay Lipstick from the Gwen Stefani collection: this is my first UD lip product ever and I love it. I didn’t expect any less from Urban Decay. But the color I’m going to talk about is Firebird, which I got for my B-day from my Bestie, Stéphanie. She knows exactly what would look good on me. And she nailed it with this color. It’s a bright plum with purple reflection. Gorgeous, I’m telling you! I don’t think it’s still available though, as it was limited edition…
- Shiseido Perfect Rouge: Once upon a time, my mom went to an Ici-Paris-Ixelles with moi, and we picked up this soft corally pink with shimmer. She never tried any corals before and this was a bit out of her comfort zone. My mom is more the bright red and plummy type of girl, but I managed to convince her to give this a try. She did… didn’t like it… and gave to me. I swear, I didn’t make her buy this color because I knew this was going to happen, I didn’t. But boy! Was I happy!! Because it ended up becoming my go to color for any look. It is the perfect shade that could go with a neutral eye or with a smoky eye or with any colored eyeshadow look. I love it so much, that I am almost running out of it. You’d think with that shimmer that it’s going to feel a bit drying. Even looking at the bullet, you might think it’s going to be drying, but that is not the case at all. It gives a creamy and shiny finish.
This concludes my current lip favs. I know, you’ve especially seen a lot of the following words: glossy, creamy, corally, pink,… But I’m sorry, those are just my kind of colors and I especially associate them with the summer time. They make me think of warmth, vacation, the sun,… Sunlight, especially, would be welcome now in Belgium, but I’ll do my fair share of bright lips to welcome the first sunrays. Yes to vibrant, yes to bold, yes to the summertime.
Please leave me your comments, I would appreciate it a lot. What would you like to read in my next posts? What do you think of the length of these posts? Are they enough in depth?
Thank you very much for reading. If you enjoyed reading this, please give me a thumbs up and subscribe, if you haven’t already.